Yes, I'll miss The Real Housewives and Top Chef and whatever other new show I'm bound to be addicted to *BUT* I'm doing something better. I got off my stripey-tight covered butt and am hitting the road!

It only takes 158 days or so, 6 different UW program changes, 2 jumbo-sized boxes of tissues, 3 surprise vaccinations, countless re-packing of your backpack and your entire piddley life savings to get to Cambodia, Thailand, France, Italy, Spain and New Zealand... Wowie bun bun!

Let's see how I do...


Friday, January 1, 2010

Same Same

Every stall around this town seems to sell t-shirts that display this phrase- "Same Same". I didn't know what the reference was to and think I'm the only one not in on the joke. I guess it refers to the attempt at explanation to travelers by locals, as in: this is like that thing you are familiar with back home, even if it isn't really, but anyways it's "same same". Same but different. It's so easy to fall into a pattern here of resting and eating and drinking and really doing nothing. It's vacation. Same same as one back home. Except warmer.

I'm feeling better today, thankfully. I definitely caught a cold. The fact that Gwenn works is a Nurse Practitioner certainly comes in handy when you're trying to find cold medicine in a foreign country. Especially one where you can get nearly anything at the pharmacy. And while a morphine drip would certainly make me feel better, I prefer to not spend the rest of my time in Siem Reap comatose. It's been bad enough that I've been so jet lagged. We haven't really seen very much yet... just adjusting to the sloooooooooow rhythm of vacation life. Anyway, Gwenn was able to procure me some decongestant. I finally can breathe and the pressure in my head has subsided. What a crappy way to start a vacation, no? At least I don't have the #3's!! (Again, I know you were wondering...!!)

I realized I haven't really explained what Cambodia is like. Since I let my netbook die yesterday and neglected to bring a three pronged converter (doh!), I can't upload pictures quite yet. There are a ton of westerners here. We've run into some Seattleites already. Small world indeed! Since it is a 3rd world country, everything is super cheap so your dollar goes really far. Of course, with that comes the beggars. There are land mine victims selling black market copies of books (mostly about Cambodia) wherever you go. There are also children selling bracelets, books and postcards. They can be quite aggressive and, although they are adorable and it's heartbreaking to say no, you have to deny them since the money doesn't go to them but to their parents or "owners". It's like Slumdog Millionaire. Kids everywhere working our sympathies for somebody else's gain. Yesterday I watched a small child stand by a white woman on the riverfront for a good five minutes. Just standing. Waiting while she was reading her book. Giving the big brown eyes and hoping for some money. She must have been 3 at the most. Sadness.

At lunch I was approached by a very aggressive girl imploring me to buy a book from her. She asked if I had a boyfriend and when I said no she said, "Do you know why you don't have boyfriend? Because you don't have a book!". What salesmanship! She then offered to go away and let me enjoy my peaceful lunch if I gave her a dollar. If it were only that easy. Moments later we were approached by a Brit who asked for a dollar. His story is that he was stranded and waiting for money to be wired and was looking for some help in the meantime. I had also met him on New Year's Eve and gave him a dollar then, falling for his story. Maybe it is legit, but in a country where $60 is the average monthly wage, getting a dollar here and there allows you to live quite comfortably. If he hits up every westerner and gets even $8 a day, he's golden. (Hmmm... idea forming...)

There are several ex-pats we've run into. If you think about it, the idea is quite appealing. If you had a few thousand saved up you could live quite comfortably here for a long time. An apartment might cost you $200 or you could stay in a guesthouse for $8 a day. The cost of living is incredibly cheap. Most restaurant meals are around $3 or $4. You'd spend your days lounging in the sun or get a job in a bar that could be like any back home, serving travelers, meeting people. I see why people do it. And since making this decision to quit my job, school abroad and travel I feel empowered and want to encourage anybody with a dream like this to DO IT! It's possible. And easier than you might think. Maybe a job at a NGO?

Living here, you'd have to get used to being dusty. I find that the fine film from motorbikes kicking up street dirt has offered me a lovely tan glow. Without the uv damage- a boon for a whitey like me! Here you also have to get used to a slower pace. Traffic goes wherever it wants to go. There are no stop signs or street lights here. You just beep your horn and hope they move. There was some sort of crash this morning outside of our cafe. I guess that happens pretty frequently. Carts overturn from taking corners too fast or tuk tuks collide with tourist. Ok, I might be making that up. But it sounds plausible based on what I've seen. I've gotten into the horrible habit of walking in the street without looking first. Anybody who has known me for a while will tell you I am often oblivious to my surroundings. I accidentally stand in people's way or run into things all the time. (I've run into our bathroom door twice. How does that happen?) This street chaos is not necessarily the best place for clumsy me!

I have noticed that while service here always comes with a smile and a greeting, it doesn't always come quickly. If dining with a group don't expect to get your meals at the same time. Or at all. It seems food comes out of the kitchen when it comes. If you ask for milk for your coffee (no cream here) it may or may not come by the time you're ready to pay the bill.

It's going to be so hard to adjust to European prices. I have a feeling I won't be spending much after this trip. Well, not on luxuries at least. We went shopping today for the first time and I bought some lovely silk scarves for next to nothing. I saw one that screamed "KIM" (my sister). (Get excited, Kim! It's pink!) I didn't spend much but now think mailing it might cost an arm and a leg. If it makes it at all, really. Since I'm carrying my entire life on my back for the next 7 months, it makes shopping a different experience. I weigh everything I'm interested in to determine if it's worth taking with me. They sell a lot of knock off items here, as you'd expect, and it's super tempting. I'm still going to pick up that "New Moon" DVD and send it Michele's way. (You get excited too, Michele!) Anybody else want anything? Keep in mind I'm a poor college student now. I can bring you all some dust or smuggle some geckos. Or morphine drips.

Off to shop some more and get a pedicure. This has been my goal for the last three days but we keep getting sidetracked with naps! Tomorrow we're venturing out of town to see the famous temples. I look forward to seeing some elephants, too! I hear they're on the roads and you can rent them to travel from temple to temple. I'm excited to see what's in store for me! Not more of the same same, for sure.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment