Yes, I'll miss The Real Housewives and Top Chef and whatever other new show I'm bound to be addicted to *BUT* I'm doing something better. I got off my stripey-tight covered butt and am hitting the road!

It only takes 158 days or so, 6 different UW program changes, 2 jumbo-sized boxes of tissues, 3 surprise vaccinations, countless re-packing of your backpack and your entire piddley life savings to get to Cambodia, Thailand, France, Italy, Spain and New Zealand... Wowie bun bun!

Let's see how I do...


Monday, February 15, 2010

Seville

Ah, Seville. Was it so great because I had such a lovely hostess? Perhaps. But a city where orange trees are abundant and the homes have touches of my favorite color wherever we went... magic!

We lucked out because the weather was great. Sunny and surprisingly warm. Sela was an excellent tour guide and taught me some very important things, like, the term "perro y flaute" which is a term for hippies, since they always seem to have dogs and flutes. Ha!

The sights were lovely!


Sela and I enjoyed many tapas and drinks. I especially enjoyed what I think now was wine and Fanta.



Hanging in her high school haunts. These crazy Spaniards drinking in high school! Sheesh!


Some ancient grafitti?

And across the street, the ubiquitous Starbucks!

Pictures of famous bull fighters on the storefront.
The neighborhood where you should see Flaminco... not that I did.

Did you know oranges start out green and lumpy? Like green cauliflower? I didn't!

The river. Lovely day!

Sela teasing me because I tried to ask for another fork and instead ended up holding up the fork and saying (in Spanish) "Again?" instead of "Another." What a nerd I am!

Sela's girls. Sela (junior) is trying to hid the mess she made of her room while playing dress up for me. The first hour or at Sela's place the kids just stared at me. Like I was a unicorn. They'd never seen an American before, I guess! In no time they warmed up and rattled off Spanish that was far beyond my comprehension. They are lovely, lively, fun and sweet girls. And you could not give them enough bread. What is it with kids and bread?

Sela, trying to get Chloe out of the picture. I love the look on Chloe's face. (That's what too much bread does to you!)


Chloe, all dressed up as a Fairy for me. :)

Saying goodbye to Sela was bittersweet. It was so great to see her and catch up. We made each other giggle to the point of tears. I miss that! I was making her laugh with my attempt at Spanish, combining phrases to make new ones I thought were usefull. Like, "Please sir, would you have my shit?" (You had to be there, I guess...)
There aren't very many people in my life who knew me when I was in high school. Sela is one of those few. It was great to see how her life has turned out and just reaffirmed for me the sense that everything that is supposed to happen is exactly what will happen. She made an agonizing decision in the past that ended in heartbreak (as myself and so many of my friends have done) and now she has a wonderful husband who she knows was meant just for her and two adorable girls in a house close to her family. And also reaffirmed that you have to choose happiness and make your life what you want it to be. (Maybe those two ideas conflict... hmmm....)
Anyway, my trip to Seville was lovely and seeing old friends was even lovelier!




No comments:

Post a Comment